Edward S. Curtis (1868-1952)

View Artist Biography
 
Edward S. Curtis -   Plate 579 Paguate Watchtower border=
SOLD
Title:
Plate 579 Paguate Watchtower
Date:
1925
Size:
Portfolio, 18 x 22 inches
Medium:
Vintage Photogravure
 
A Paguate Watchtower is a significant edifice.

The oldest and largest of the outlying pueblos, equaling, if not slightly exceeding, Laguna in population is Paguate, separated from the mother pueblo by eight miles of difficult road and perched on a slightly elevated rocky eminence overlooking a small valley. The original Indian settlement at Paguate was an outpost established for the purpose of checking the Navaho. From Volume 16 of The North American Indian.

This outpost is a stone structure built in three levels. The lower level was used for storing corn and wheat, the middle level was used for grinding the grains; and the upper level, accessible only by ladder, was used as a lookout and for protection of women and children during the Apache and Navajo raids. It was also used at times as a shelter for men and women who had journeyed for the day from the village of Laguna to farm the Paguate valley.
View Artist Biography